The Rainbow Resource Centre is a not-for-profit community organization that provides support, education, programming and resources to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and two-spirit communities of Manitoba and North Western Ontario.
The Rainbow Resource Centre can trace its history back to the early 70′s. It began as a student group at the University of Manitoba, first known as the Campus Gay Club, with a name change in 1973 to Gays for Equality. A telephone information line, peer counseling service and a resource library on the University of Manitoba campus were a few of the first services offered. Gays for Equality went on to become a leader and an important resource for the gay and lesbian community, providing community services, education, outreach and political awareness and activism.
Rainbow Resource Centre’s Mission Statement:
REPRESENT AND SUPPORT Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Two-Spirit, Intersex, Queer, Questioning and Ally (LGBTT*) Individuals, Communities and Families by providing comprehensive education and outreach services, accessible counselling and other programs and services.
PROMOTE LGBTT* VISIBILITY by way of advocacy, community-building and networking on local, provincial, national and global levels.
PROVIDE ACCESS to our services and resources through networks, and partnerships and allies, throughout Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.
FOCUS ON SAFETY and harm reduction to maximize the LGBTT* community’s health and well-being by promoting healthy living and obtaining, creating and providing information and educational resources.
BUILD COMMUNITY with LGBTT* Individuals and other groups by way of mobilization, education and celebration.
Rainbow Resource Centre’s Core Values:
• We value and honour the input and contributions of our community, which includes but is not limited to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Two-spirit, Intersex, Queer, Questioning and Ally (LGBTT*) Individuals, Groupsand Families.
• We are accountable and transparent to the community we represent and are a part of.
• We are community-focused and strive to incorporate the voice of the community in the development and operation of our services and programs.
• We believe the LGBTT* community has the right to a place where they feel welcome, safe and respected.
SOCIAL JUSTICE AND ADVOCACY
• We challenge and oppose the various interlocking forms of oppression which obstruct human rights and human freedoms.
• We believe in the necessity of social justice for all individuals; all individuals must have their human rights and freedoms upheld.
• All individuals are entitled to support, direction, information, guidance and additional forms of advocacy with respect to human rights and freedoms.
• We recognize and value the vast continuum of sexual identities, attractions, behaviours and expressions.
• We affirm a person’s right to choose how to define and express their gender, sexuality and sexual self.
• We recognize and honour the ability and competency of an individual to make the choices that are right for them.
• We believe community involvement is inherent in our development, maintenance and sustenance as a LGBTT* resource centre. •
We value the talents and skills offered by our volunteers.
• We believe in modeling and mentoring individuals in areas in which they seek growth.
• We honour and celebrate LGBTT* history, our current struggles and achievements and the evolution of queer culture as we create a truly inclusive space in the world where human worth is immeasurable. HARMONY
• We create a place of harmony within the community through collaboration and cooperation.
• We foster an inclusive environment where we value the diversity of our community.
• We honour an individual’s right to self-identify and express without judgment.
For more information about the Rainbow Resource Centre please visit www.rainbowresourcecentre.org
or call (204) 474-0212.